[Tagging] admin_level in EU & NUTS/LAU

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:09:24 BST 2011

Hello,
I would like to open the discussion about determining the admin_level of
administrative boundaries in Europe according to NUTS/LAU division.
Though this probably of interest only for people from EU, I don't think
there is any better mailing list for this.
There are several countries with complete import of administrative
boundaries, but the problem is that admin_level values are comparable
only inside one country. If you want to render boundaries  (or work in
any other way with them) even only for a couple of neighbouring
countries, you're in trouble - whatever settings you choose, you're end
up with at least one country having too little or too many boundaries at
the given level compared to its neighbours.
I think the answer to this problem is to use NUTS/LAU division to derive
the admin_level value (maybe with a few exceptions) and unite the scheme
across EU countries. I'm not sure what scheme is the best, but I would
like to hear your opinions.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk