[Tagging] admin_level in EU & NUTS/LAU

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:09:57 BST 2011

2011/9/14 "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" <xificurk at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> I would like to open the discussion about determining the admin_level of
> administrative boundaries in Europe according to NUTS/LAU division.
> Though this probably of interest only for people from EU, I don't think
> there is any better mailing list for this.
> There are several countries with complete import of administrative
> boundaries, but the problem is that admin_level values are comparable
> only inside one country. If you want to render boundaries  (or work in
> any other way with them) even only for a couple of neighbouring
> countries, you're in trouble - whatever settings you choose, you're end
> up with at least one country having too little or too many boundaries at
> the given level compared to its neighbours.
> I think the answer to this problem is to use NUTS/LAU division to derive
> the admin_level value (maybe with a few exceptions) and unite the scheme
> across EU countries. I'm not sure what scheme is the best, but I would
> like to hear your opinions.

Which countries do you think should shift some admin_levels (up or
down), or did I missunderstand and this was not the intended solution
for the problem? As far as I can see corrisponding admin_levels
generally are already in line with other schemes like NUTS/LAU. As the
situation is different in different countries this might also be a
problem (the same hierarchy level being much more fragmented in one
country then in another) which is not solvable generally.

cheers,
Martin