[Tagging] lanes tag dispute

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Sep 18 17:54:19 BST 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2011 16:20, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> Here's an example of what tagging every lane would lead to:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Silly_lane_count.jpg
>
> I see nothing intrinsically wrong with that. Lots of splitting ways &
> tagging admittedly, but that's a problem with OSM & its tagging process.

I agree.  This data would be quite useful to routing software,
especially when combined with information about which lanes have which
turn restrictions.

Yes, it's a lot of work, and people routinely ignore it, but that
doesn't make it wrong.  The way I see it, ignoring short lane number
changes is equivalent to ignoring short traffic dividers (e.g.
http://g.co/maps/cqdmf).  I wouldn't blame someone for ignoring it,
but I wouldn't blame someone for including it either.

Nathan, what is one supposed to do if *all* lanes are turning lanes
(e.g. http://g.co/maps/4j2uh)?  Do we tag it lanes=0?