[Tagging] lanes tag dispute

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 18:21:42 BST 2011

On 9/18/2011 1:18 PM, Anthony wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Anthony<osm at inbox.org>  wrote:
>> Yes, mapping every lane as a separate way would be even better, but
>> let's go one step at a time.
>
> Actually, I take back that last sentence:
> http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/tomtom-v8/v8_lane_assist_northwest2_speed_alert.jpg
>
> Do you think Garmin is mapping every lane as a separate way here?  I
> don't think they are, or that they should.  I think if I were going to
> do it, I'd map this as one way up to the theoretical gore point, and
> then as two ways after the theoretical gore point.  I wouldn't use
> five ways.

It's simple on a motorway. But, for a simple example on a surface road,
how do you know where the straight lanes go if there are 3 lanes after
an intersection but 2 before?

And actually, even on a motorway, what if it's 4 lanes to a split of 2
and 3? The assumption is that the second lane from the left can be used
to exit, but it's possible that only the leftmost lane is available, and
a second lane begins on the ramp right at the gore. Or perhaps there's a
short segment of 5 lanes before the split - how do you know which side
the new lane forms on?