[Tagging] Use cases: where would a count of all lanes be useful?

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 21:49:01 BST 2011

2011/9/19 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>

> On 9/19/2011 3:28 PM, Jo wrote:
>
>> That's how the JOSM turnlanes plugin helps to tag it. It neatly
>> describes the length of the turn lanes and where they lead the traffic
>> to in a bunch of relations. The only thing missing from it is a way to
>> indicate where exactly the turn lane starts (instead of making an
>> estimation in meters).
>>

> Ah, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/turn_lanes .
> Would it be possible to modify this to allow a node for the beginning of the
> lane rather than its length?

 It's a bit hard to add it because of this paragraph:

The argument has been made that geo information (here: lane lengths) should
not be encoded in tags. To echo the introduction: This proposal tries to
provide good detail while remaining practical and enabling straight-forward
editing. The decision to encode lane lengths in tags directly rather than
referring to a node on the road as its beginning was made to stay in keeping
with those goals.

I would already be glad if the plugin allowed me to click on the aerial
imagery and that it works out the length automatically.

Jo