[Tagging] wiki fiddling for gas stations, tenant, brand, operator

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 18:01:22 BST 2011

I wonder if there is support for "tenant" in gas stations. AFAIK the
operator key was used for this purpose so far ("The operator tag is
used to name a company, corporation, person or any other entity who is
in charge of the operation of a certain map object."). Where I map the
company or person in charge of the operation of a gas station is the
tenant, not the oil company. To tag the oil company the tag "brand"
was invented as far as I recall.

see also here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:brand

The wiki has no further description of this key and it is used less
then 250 times (on all objects, not only gas stations):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tenant

Can someone point me to a discussion about this tenant key? Are there
any objections of removing it from the amenity=fuel page?

cheers,
Martin