[Tagging] railways, subway stations and train stations

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 22 15:21:39 BST 2011

On 22/09/2011 13:50, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/22/11 13:43, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> More seriously, in Boston we sometimes use the word "subway" to refer to
>> several MBTA lines, and non-train-nerds don't really distinguish between
>> the Green Line (which is probably "light rail") and the others.  Of
>> course, real trains sometimes run underground (e.g. near New York Penn
>> Station).
>
> Yes, also trams can run underground for much more than just a small
> stretch of tunnel (e.g. Bonn), and of course the London Underground
> frequently runs in broad daylight. In Frankfurt, a lot of suburban
> train traffic ("S-Bahn") is underground and a lot of underground
> ("U-Bahn") is overground.
>
> How is someone to determine whether something is a railway=station or
> a railway=subway_station?

Maybe it should be an attribute of the line, and not of the station? A
station with both a subway line and a heavy rail line would be....a
station. A station may have one or more operators (in the case of a
shared station). Or would they be separate stations, so a station has
only one operator?

Colin