[Tagging] railways, subway stations and train stations

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 10:30:16 BST 2011

2011/9/22 sabas88 <sabas88 at gmail.com>:

>> How is someone to determine whether something is a railway=station or a
>> railway=subway_station?
>
> If it's on a metro (subway) line it's a subway_station, else if it's on a
> train line it's a station.

+1. I didn't want to open a discussion how to distinguish
railway=subway from railway=rail, which are both well established and
usually legally well defined tags (@Frederik: in Germany subways
(U-Bahn) are legally indeed trams which must never cross streets at
the same level). The proposal was to tag the points/areas of the
stations with different tags, according to the kind of rail system it
is on.

cheers,
Martin