[Tagging] RFC: place=quarter, Parts of settlements, proposed hierarchy: suburb -> quarter -> neighbourhood

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 01:57:10 BST 2011

> 2011/9/28 Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>:
>> There's no consistent "same level" here. If you split Manhattan into three
>> strips, Upper Manhattan is on the same level as Midtown. But if you go into
>> slightly finer divisions, Harlem and Midtown are on the same level.
>
> OK, looking at New York it is clear that 3 levels are not enough.
What's clear is that there's no such thing as a level when neighborhoods
are involved.

> I am not sure how to handle NYC, maybe the proposed
> scheme has to be amended, but doesn't that prove that the current
> place scheme is unsufficient by all means?
How? What's wrong with all of the sub-Manhattan entities being
place=neighborhood? Maybe "quarter" would be the best tag for the
boroughs, but it seems like a horrible term for something that's not
literally a quarter of the city.