[Tagging] Feature Proposal - TMC - New tagging scheme for TMC

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 04:33:18 BST 2012

On 3/29/2012 7:01 AM, Heinrich Knauf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> infoware GmbH, Bonn, Germany, and Geofabrik GmbH, Karlsruhe, Germany,
> have developed an
> improved tagging scheme for TMC data which we would like to propopose
> to the OSM community.
>
> Currently, this feature is explained in German only.
>
> Pelase refer to
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Proposed_features/New_TMC_scheme
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/New_TMC_Scheme
>
> Your comments are greatly appreceated!

Heinrich,

That looks like a huge improvement from the existing proposal. A few
questions for clarification and discussion:
* In this proposal, the actual TMC LCDs are not technically required,
are they? If all the ways are tagged according to this schema, you can
look up the segments just by looking at the ways? I guess having the LCD
encoded onto nodes will speed up lookup.
* How do you plan to make this huge effort (even just for Germany)
manageable? I mean, it's simpler than it looks, but it still is a *lot*
of work. A JOSM plugin? A dedicated website to track progress and show
bugs / inconsistencies? Other supporting tools for mappers?
* Do you (or anyone) have any info on the 'openness' of this data in
other countries? I believe they are proprietary data here in the US, not
sure though (will ask in talk-us).

--
Martijn van Exel