[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Apr 10 18:44:21 BST 2012

Hi Martin.
You are right in that highway=footway is obsolete from a pure data point
of view, IF the application supports it.
On the other hand, it might be very likely, that the corresponding
street then gets a foot=no, as that's often the case, if you look at the
street without the footway.

 From my point of view, highway=footway could be omitted as you suggest,
but on the other hand, that would break routing for pedestrians, because
the legacy/compatibility attribute highway=footway is missing.

The question is: is more data basically good or bad? Are
applications/developers asked to adapt their code to a changing tagging
system, or has the tagging system keep track of compatibility issues
with more or less outdated software?

In this case IMHO forcing devs (of software and styles) to adapt to the
new possibilities is better as the maps gets more and more cluttered for
software, that is not aware of the change.
Software/Style, that is up to date can cope with that, at outdated
software it's visible that things go wrong and people will complain
about it, until it's changed.

If in turn we remove the highway=footway tag, devs simply ignore good
ideas and features, because they are probably even not aware of the
possibilities inside.

regards
Peter