[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 23:10:08 BST 2012

On 4/10/2012 2:15 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> Consider this situation: a road on an
>> incline, the sidewalk follows the road but has steps in some places. You
>> would want to capture the steps for accessibility reasons, and you can't
>> by just adding a sidewalk tag to the main way feature.
>
> Except if you use one of the more general approaches for mapping lanes
> as tags (such as [1]). Then you can add arbitrary tags to each lane,
> including any that identify them as steps.
>
> Tobias
>
> [1] http://wiki.osm.org/Proposed_features/lanes_General_Extension

A sidewalk is not a lane and it should not be tagged as such. Doing so
would be utterly confusing. Does the lanes proposal (which I think is
horribly overwrought to begin with) not exclude sidewalks? It should.
The sidewalks are not tagged in any of the examples:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/lanes_General_Extension#Examples

--
Martijn van Exel