[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Apr 11 00:06:23 BST 2012

Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 4/10/2012 6:38 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
>> Not explicitly. And while it is true that the examples don't include
>> sidewalks, they do include cycleways, where we have basically the same
>> debate whether or not they should be separate ways.
>
> Are you talking about bike lanes or sidepaths?

I am talking about bicycle lanes that are not physically separate from
the car lanes. These should  be mapped as cycleway=lane (or variants
thereof, such as cycleway:left/right=lane), but some micromappers seem
to like mapping them as individual ways for some reason.

While cycleway=lane is fine as a start, I would suggest that these
should also be added to the *:lanes list _if_ you use a proposal such as
the one I linked to earlier. Otherwise, some situations cannot be
adequately modelled.

Tobias