[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Emiliano D'Aversa edaversa at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 12:29:12 BST 2012

________________________________
Da: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
A: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Inviato: Mercoledì 11 Aprile 2012 11:35
Oggetto: Re: [Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Am 11. April 2012 10:49 schrieb Komяpa <me at komzpa.net>:
> First, there are road behaviour rules, that basically disallow that.
> You MUST go to crossing to cross a road here.

you can't asume this to be a global law. In other countries (e.g.
Germany or Italy) you must use a pedestrian crossing if it is close to
you. If you are more then x meters away (i.e. you are in the middle of
a road) you can simply cross anywhere, provided you don't endanger the
traffic or yourself.

In Italy this is true (only if you cross perpendicularly to the street), but how can we map where this is not possible without drawing the sidewalk separately? I'm not so experienced in tagging and I wonder which tags can we use on the highway for cases like in [1] or even more complicated? Maybe if you are in shape you can jump over the fence :-), if you are in a wheelchair you can't even cross the small step of the sidewalk..

[1] http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&ll=41.886113,12.528148&spn=0.000064,0.042787&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.886165,12.503703&panoid=pWjJuW1TM-RXzrD5-gI8iw&cbp=12,354.51,,0,11.24

Cheers,
Emiliano