[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Apr 12 07:33:31 BST 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 19:50 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 4/11/2012 7:17 PM, Philip Barnes wrote:
> >>
> >> Except when a motorway has a sidewalk.
> > Do motorways ever have a sidewalk? Sometimes a footpath/cycle track
> > follows the motorway, and often there are footpath/cycle tracks where
> > motorway bridges cross estuarys, but they are separate ways.
>
> What are you asking? A sidewalk is almost always a separate physical way
> (if not, it's a shoulder, except on minor urban streets with flush
> sidewalks and no curb).

In the Netherlands I have sometimes seen cycleways paralleling
motorways, some 20-30 metres away, and on long estuary bridges there is
often a cycleway but beyond that motorways never have a sidewalk.

The term motorway implies a lot of rules,
No Pedestrians.
No Cyclists.
No Learner Drivers.
No Tracked Vehicles.