[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 08:12:36 BST 2012

On 4/12/2012 2:33 AM, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 19:50 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

>>> Do motorways ever have a sidewalk? Sometimes a footpath/cycle track
>>> follows the motorway, and often there are footpath/cycle tracks where
>>> motorway bridges cross estuarys, but they are separate ways.
>>
>> What are you asking? A sidewalk is almost always a separate physical way
>> (if not, it's a shoulder, except on minor urban streets with flush
>> sidewalks and no curb).
>
> In the Netherlands I have sometimes seen cycleways paralleling
> motorways, some 20-30 metres away, and on long estuary bridges there is
> often a cycleway but beyond that motorways never have a sidewalk.
>
> The term motorway implies a lot of rules,
> No Pedestrians.

Not in many U.S. states. But even where it does, there is the occasional
(barrier-separated) sidewalk. No different from a sidewalk next to any
other busy road. For example:
http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/gwb-pedestian-bicycle-info.html
http://www.commuterpageblog.com/2009/02/stupidest-bike-lane.html