[Tagging] Turn Restriction usage

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Apr 12 16:47:25 BST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM, Stephen Hope <slhope at gmail.com> wrote:
> In one case there is a road where a two way section comes to a divider and
> becomes two one way sections for a while. The suggested route came along one
> of the one way sections, then turned about 340 degrees to go down the other
> side of the road. It may be legal to do a u-turn there, but I don't think
> it's safe, or even possible for most cars. I was thinking about it, and many
> other divided road are similar where they split/join. Should we be putting
> no u-turn restrictions on these? There's no actual signs.

This is of special interest to the pacific northwest.  In Oregon for
sure, and probably Washington and British Columbia, U-turns are
prohibited at or within a relatively short distance of a controlled
intersection (meaning any intersection that has a stop sign, yield
sign or traffic signal head facing one or more directions), except
when explicitly permitted by signage (most common sign combination is
"LEFT TURN SIGNAL - U TURN PERMITTED - NO TRUCKS."