[Tagging] Defaults (Re: sidewalks and tagging for the renderer)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:49:31 BST 2012

I think we're talking about two different things here.

(a) An editor (program) automatically applying tags to an object. This
is bad, because we don't know whether the mapper has specifically
verified this, or whether it's just being assumed and may be false.

(b) Tags on an area that specify defaults for objects within the area,
to be processed by the end-user who downloads the OSM data. This could
be good. For example, in Florida, whether bicycles are allowed on
sidewalks is a matter for the local government to decide. So it would be
useful to specify that footway=sidewalk implies bicycle=no inside city
limits, unless otherwise overridden by a tag on the sidewalk way. And
you could still set bicycle=no on the ways if you want.