[Tagging] Gated communities - access=private or destination?

Sun Apr 15 08:55:48 BST 2012

At 2012-04-14 22:10, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>In the U.S., a gated residential community usually allows anyone in who
>has a legitimate reason to be there (e.g. visiting a friend, delivering a
>package, repairing a TV). It seems that this fits access=destination as
>well as private. Would it be reasonable to tag it as such, and leave
>access=private for secondary entrances that lack a guard and can only be
>opened by residents?

access=destination says nothing about a legitimate reason to be there
according to the wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access) - just
that it's your destination. For example, you might want to go to a park
within such a community to walk your dog, which would seem to be allowed by
access=destination on the gate node, roads, or parking, but that would be
incorrect unless you are, or are the guest of, a resident.

I tag everything within such gated communities as access=private.