[Tagging] Gated communities - access=private or destination?

Sun Apr 15 12:50:31 BST 2012

At 2012-04-15 05:38, Jaakko Helleranta.com wrote:
>Btw. I think current Mapnik rendering renders addr:housenumber=* over
>barrier=gate .
>Meaning: if u tag em both u won't see the gate icon at all but only the
>house number. .. Which imho is not ideal.
>
>I'd love to see both rendered (when space allows) as both are of high
>importance.
>
>This is based on my experience in Haiti where often the only instructions
>to a place is eg: "about 400m down, black gate on the left with #15 on it".
>
>Has anyone bn thinking about this? (How) can I submit a ticket to suggest
>fixing this?
>.. Nico, Sev, Brian: could this be taken in consideration in the possible
>Haiti custom rendering style?

I would normally tag the address on a landuse area or a building node or
area, not on the gate. However, I would agree that Mapnik should render
whatever icon is represented by the other tagging on a node at a higher
priority than using the "house" icon associated with addr:housenumber.