[Tagging] [OSM-talk] POI for Hotel

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:36:18 BST 2012

Am 15. April 2012 12:22 schrieb Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:

>> I'm not sure why you would attempt such a query with nothing but OSM
>> data. There are multiple websites that specialize in this type of
>> thing and are far better at it than OSM will ever be because they have
>> direct interaction with hotels to handle the volatility in prices,
>> room availability and other considerations that are entirely outside
>> of the scope of OSM.
>

>> OSM is not a travel site and I would never use it as such.
>

> Absolutely correct.
> We need to be extremely careful not to put volatile info into the OSM
> database.
> We would end up with a heap of useless data. We simply do not have the means
> for maintaining that type of data.

I am not really convinced. Entering detailed price information is out
of the scope of the main OSM database, I agree. On the other hand OSM
is full of volatile information (e.g. people adding road constructions
which will be finished in short terms. I also remember a thread on
talk-de the other day, where someone complained that another mapper
had inserted a road as usable 2 days before it was actually opened).
The point is: if there is someone to maintain the data it could be
inserted, if instead there is high probability that this data will be
left untouched and unused, then don't enter it.

Rough pricing information (e.g. price classes like cheap, middle
range, expensive, ultra luxurious) will not be outdated any soon. Of
course prices get adjusted to inflation, hotels have special offers
and the like, but the rough price-range is in the very most of the
cases quite stable.

Toby mentioned a series of examples for hotel search sites (
hotels.com, orbitz.com, kayak.com, priceline.com, travelocity.com )
but none of them offer their database for download so it's not really
an alternative to open data. Basically we would have to get the hotel
operators themselves to enter their information into OSM (or into a
parallel system that is somehow linked to), and there probably won't
be the problem of keeping the data up to date.

Anyway, my post up there was to advocate the insertion of the total
number of rooms for a hotel, not the prices.

cheers,
Martin