[Tagging] highway=services/rest_area

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Fri Apr 20 10:50:44 BST 2012

Am 20.04.2012 10:46, schrieb Nathan Edgars II:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservices says that it
> (usually) has fuel and food, but it links to Wikipedia:rest area.

> Should the Wikipedia link be removed (and added to
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Drest_area)?

Uhmm, difficult, because the linked wikipedia article refers to rest
area _and_ service area.

I would differ between
highway=rest_area as rest area (min. parking and rest rooms, may be a
picnic area or a very small kiosk, but no further service)
and
highway=services as service area. (min. any 'full' service like refuel,
restaurant, accomodation)

> Should the word 'usually' be removed?

Possibly, at least I am expecting a fuel service at highway=services -
but that may be a result of my german / european practice.
I do not know of service areas with accomodation only, just of fuel and
optional restaurant, optional accomodation.