[Tagging] highway=services/rest_area

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Apr 20 10:54:11 BST 2012

Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservices says that it
> (usually) has fuel and food, but it links to Wikipedia:rest area.
> Should the Wikipedia link be removed (and added to
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Drest_area)? Should
> the word 'usually' be removed?

As I read it, Wikipedia:rest_area encompasses both highway=services and
highway=rest_area.  The highway=rest_area page was created by an
Australian, and I suspect it reflects the situation in (Eastern)
Australia*.  It links to "Wikipedia:rest area#Australia. There are
similar non-service rest areas in other countries of course - lots in
the US, and there's at least one in the UK.

I'd say the wikipedia links are about right as thet are

Cheers,
Andy

* I don't remember seeing one in a few thousand km of driving in Western
Australia last year.  Bottle-shops, plenty...