[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 19:57:31 BST 2012

2012/4/22 Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com>:
> After reading through these emails I'm beginning to think the lanes=1.5
> would less confusing for narrow two lane roads.

The problem with lanes=1.5 stays: data consumers might not be able to
handle this correctly.

What we need right now is a recommendation how to handle this "narrow
road"-problem, without using a tag, that might cause more problems
than it solves. What is the problem with the following:
If a two-way road is so narrow, that passing cars have to slow down,
then besides lanes=2 either 1) measure the width and set the tag
accordingly (preferable, but usually much too difficult) or 2) simply
use est_width=4 (or width together with source:width).