[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:35:57 BST 2012

Very good thoughts and examples - thanks for that.

I fully support you, that the lanes tag should not be another
estimation of width. I also agree, that we should not tag lanes, when
they are not obvious in some way.

Regarding the example with the parked cars: I think this case should
be handled by the parking-tags. If we start to reason "ok, there are
two lanes, but as cars are parking here, I dont tag this" it's getting
more complicated than necessary. I always recommend "clean" tags:
"lanes" count the lanes. End of story. Otherwise we put more meaning
in the value as there should be and just like it is right now with
lanes=1.5 (-> "there are two lanes, but they are narrow so I don't tag
this").

Regarding width:lanes=2.0|2.0 . I don't agree. If the width is
evenly(!) distributed over the existing lanes, don't use the lanes
suffix, simply tag: lanes=2 and width=4. But if the width is NOT
evenly distributed, one has to use the lanes suffix, so
width:lanes=2.0|2.75 should never-ever be tagged (only) as width=4.75.

One last question: what would you recommend for estimations of the
width? width=x together with source:width=estimated or only est_width?

Martin