[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:05:46 BST 2012

Am 22. April 2012 16:43 schrieb Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com>:
> I've had a look for uk guidance as the uk's ordnance survey was mentioned,
> and a lot of older uk advice appears based around a now historic view that
> 'cars = saloon cars' and were 1.8m or less. If cars were assumed to be 1.8m
> wide then implied OS figure of 4m for two lanes makes sense.
>
> But saloon cars are no longer the 'standard' car, in the uk they've more or
> less been replaced by hatchbacks & 4x4's. If we look at best selling cars in
> the UK (and I assume Europe) we have to assume car widths (with mirrors) are
> now just over 2m, which I'd round up to 2.1m.

-1, fortunately this isn't true and cars are usually not larger then
1.8 metres, actually the best selling cars are usually smaller than
that. E.g. have a look here (I didn't check it extensively, but I
guess it is true):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DeLarge/Top_10_best_selling_cars_in_Britain

Anyways, I think researching the average car width shouldn't be
required for mapping lanes.

> assumed to be 1.8m. I think it's good advice if you add on 0.2m for each car
> lane.

-1, doubt it.

> Realising this is a far more complex issue that I first thought. Personally
> I don't I'll be adding widths.

that's a pity, because this seems to be the only (or at least the
easiest) way to have objective data on this, as nobody will know what
you did assume for the average car width when you tagged lanes=1.78

cheers,
Martin