[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:45:29 BST 2012

> On April 23rd 2012 13:05 many people wrote
> .... something about car width .....

The only reason we started discussing about the width of vehicles was
a recommendation for "narrow roads with two lanes" to replace the
lanes=1.5: if someone can not or does not want to measure the width of
the road, we need some recommend value for est_width. If we agree on,
that most cars have a width of something around 2 meters, a good value
for the estimated(!) width of "a road with two lanes, which is so
narrow, that vehicles most slow down to pass each other" is about 4
meters - therefore the recommendation to use est_width=4.

Is everyone fine with that?

I would also like to get some more opinions on either 1) est_width or
2) width and source:width=estimated should be used.

Martin