[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:24:23 BST 2012

2012/4/23 Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com>:
> Problem with that, and why I am said this is far more complex than I first
> thought, is some people responding to lanes=1.5 by saying 'computers' only
> like whole numbers. This suggests width=4.3 would need to be rounded to
> either width=4 or width=5 neither of which would help with solving the
> lanes=1.5 problem, because 4m is to narrow for two 2.010m cars, and 5m
> arguably doesn't require you to significantly slow down.

1) The "whole numbers" referred to the lanes tag. Width of course can
have fractional digits.
2) The width=4 should be a recommendation if the width - for whatever
reason - is not measured exactly. The recommend width should have two
properties: a) easy to remember, and b) for any data consumer it
should be clear, that this is "narrow". Because of a) I would take 4
and not 4.3 and because of b) we can not take 5.

Martin