[Tagging] Block names (vs street names) in Brasilia

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 22:19:34 BST 2012

Op 24 april 2012 16:44 schreef Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> het volgende:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > if neighbourhood is missleading, you could invent a place=block below
> > neighbourhood. "neighbourhood" seems to be interpreted differently in
> > different cultural backgrounds. Personally I always saw it as a
> > relatively small entity, smaller than a quarter which would be smaller
> > than a suburb.
>
> It seems that neighbourhood/district/quarter are very closed and hard
> to translate (as you say, it's cultural). But the "block" seems to be
> easy to define since it is the smallest area defined by a street grid.
>
> Pieren

It isn't always that easy to define. It's possible that paths or maybe
service roads run through blocks. And it's also possible that a block on
the outside of a town is only surrounded with 3 streets.

I would go for relations which define the boundaries. As most of the time,
the boundaries are streets, almost no extra ways are needed.