[Tagging] Block names (vs street names) in Brasilia

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Wed Apr 25 11:25:04 BST 2012

Am 25.04.2012 08:58, schrieb Elena ``of Valhalla'':
> On 2012-04-24 at 21:46:35 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> On 4/24/2012 2:13 PM, Alex Barth wrote:
>>> Pieren - thanks for pointing out that "area=yes" is highway only. How could the documentation for it be clearer [1]?
>> It's not highway only. For example, it can be used on
>> railway=platform: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/94063273
>> or man_made=pier: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/71124853
> but in both cases the meaning is "contrary to the default for
> the main tag, this feature has not been described by tracing
> its center line, but its perimeter"

as far as I know and always have considered, that is the meaning in
_all_ cases - because area was invented to differentiate between the
linear and area meaning of a tag, if it is ambiguous.
And it is documented - at least actually - for the use in both
directions, so even to distinguish a linear feature from a default area
feature (area=no).

But back to the "block name" question, I do not think area=yes is in
anyway necessary there:

If you consider block as an address feature, addr:block should be used
at the address itself, not at the block area in total.
If you consider to describe just the block area - just the perimeter -
to name it, I think place=locality on a closed polygon would be sufficient.
Only if you need to describe the block as an entity - as an
'administrative object' or something like that - you need a special
place= block value.

Georg