[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Martin Vonwald (Imagic) imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:09:05 BST 2012

Am 26.04.2012 um 20:03 schrieb Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com>:

> Major problem: You've haven't adequately dealt with the lanes=1.5 issue. You've suggested something that can't solve the issue, but simply looks like an attempt to cleanse it from the lanes tag and forget about it.

Actually I thought it was solved by specifying the width. And I can't cleanse it from the database by - for the first time as far as I can see - mention lanes=1.5 in the wiki.

> Major Problem: The Assumptions section, I think, is a very bad idea. The 'Remark' for everything other than motorways/trunk suggests not to add the lane data, but rely on the assumption. If you do not know how many lanes are present the Assumptions table is good idea to what might be present. But surveyed data is superior to an assumption, and we must not encourage people not to add the data.

In the remarks I wrote "... is usually not tagged...", which afaik is the truth. I also had the impression, that we don't want the lanes-tag on every residential road. If this is not the case I could remove the "none" from the residential-road-example and rephrase the assumptions.

Martin