[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Ilpo Järvinen ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi
Fri Apr 27 08:23:09 BST 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> Am 26. April 2012 20:03 schrieb Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com>:
> > Major problem: You've haven't adequately dealt with the lanes=1.5 issue.
> > You've suggested something that can't solve the issue, but simply looks like
> > an attempt to cleanse it from the lanes tag and forget about it.
>

> IMHO it would be a good idea to remove fractional lanes amounts and
> forget about them. They are too subjective.

...Like I said, this is pretty much verifiable by observing cars (but in
practice there would be quite few cases where even that would be
necessary, and the impact of mistagging in such case is anyway negligible).
I'm afraid that osm community starts enforce more and more this "too
subjective" argument (which seems "too subjective" itself btw ;-)) to
undermine osm map from its strength by _preventing use of local
knowledge_(!) to produce _useful_ map instead of "correct by
specification" one, eventually that leads to cycleways going though bus
station crowds just because it's officially legal to cycle there
(instead of highway=footway with proper access tags, uh-oh, I mentioned
another subjective monster :-)), etc.

> What do you think of lanes=3.5? I have an example here:
>
> Not sure, how many lanes these are, could be 5 or even 5.5? Depends on
> the car widths and the experience of the drivers:

Heheh... :-) ...there's one major difference between 1.5 and >=2.5, ie.,
whether the traffic in one direction almost always interferes with the
opposite direction of the traffic, in the latter case it shouldn't happen
(at least on the quieter hours with just two cars). I suppose you knew
this though but just are in "opposing mode" so any argument is good
enough ;-).

--
 i.