[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 09:12:11 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> If a feature can be either a closed way or an area, the default
> interpretation should always be the closed way. Otherwise, you'd have to
> know arbitrary defaults for each type of object.

You have to know anyway if your feature can be either a closed way or
an area and therefore need some special handling in your apps. The
question is then more to consider certain features as "area" or
"closed way" by default. On this point, I'm always standing on the
contributors side and wont ask them to add an unnecessary tag for
99.99% of the cases.

Pieren