[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Marl osm-marl at gmx.com
Sat Apr 28 09:06:04 BST 2012

On 27/04/12 20:11, Anthony wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>> Anthony wrote:
>> If I were writing a renderer (actually, I am), I would assume that a
>> closed way does not represent an area unless it a) has an always-area
>> tag such as landuse or b) is tagged with area=yes. Your idea that
>> some tags should make a closed way into an area by default, unless
>> there's also a certain other tag (like area=no) present, is not
>> established mapping style as far as I can tell. Currently, tags are
>> either unambiguous, or the default assumption is "not an area".
> Well that's a mistake that should be fixed.

I think that it's not a mistake.

The idea of having different defaults for area= would not only keep
programmers busy (they can do more beneficial things during the time
wasted for this), it also confuses mappers. I (as a mapper) don't want
to look up the default for every tag.

Another point: A platform is a usually footway. They often work as
footways as well, so I think that in this case they should be tagged
highway=footway anyway. Different defaults for the area tag would create
an ambiguity. This is just the first example of this inconsistency that
comes to my mind.

By the way - why are you tagging railway=platform? The public transport
scheme has changed this to public_transport=platform more than a year ago.

That's my two cents

Marl