[Tagging] Waterway directionality in drainage canals

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Apr 28 11:15:44 BST 2012

28.04.2012 11:24, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> So there are a lot of major canals that have no fixed direction. How
> should these be mapped? Is there any existing scheme that can show how
> water flows under different conditions?

We have this abandoned proposal for explicitly mapping flow directions:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/directional
It has only a "tidal" value, though. Maybe additional values would solve
the problem?

That being said, it's not actually in use. So defining a new proposal
for something like flow_direction=* with appropriate values would work
just as well.

Tobias