[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Apr 28 12:59:55 BST 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Komяpa <me at komzpa.net> wrote:
>> I think we should decide the better way to map first, and then let the
>> programmers prioritize the fix.  Since programmers are already
>> checking for always-area, it doesn't seem like a difficult fix.  Are
>> patches welcome?
>
> Patches welcome.
>
> As programmers, we need a complete machine-readable list of
> always-area keys and key=value's.

What specific program or programs are we looking at?

Scanning the wiki it looks like usually-not-area would be less of a
moving target.  Otherwise almost every time someone adds a new amenity
you have to add a new always-area tag.  The usually-not-area would be
junction=roundabout, barrier=*, highway=pedestrian, leisure=track,
man_made=breakwater, man_made=groyne, man_made=pier, natural=cliff,
and waterway=dam.

I wouldn't even include public_transport=platform.  In those few cases
where you want a hole in the middle, use a multipolygon.

Not sure what to make of sport=toboggan, sport=water_ski, or
tourism=artwork.  That would require more research.