[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sat Apr 28 15:10:40 BST 2012

For the barrier=city_wall I in fact see way AND area as possible:
A mid-age city wall of a bigger city may have walls of several meters
width sometimes, that include corridors, stairways and more, as another
building would.
If I map a strip of grass as an area with a width of 1m, a city wall
with 5m width is an area, too - that's sometimes similar in size than a
usual house.

I think, we should (!) introduce an area tag in the next API version,
that allows the strict distinction between area and way by type,
independent of tags.

regards
Peter