[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Georg Feddern OSM osm at bavarianmallet.de
Sun Apr 29 17:27:17 BST 2012

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> hat am 29. April 2012 um 17:39
geschrieben:

> 2012/4/29 Kytömaa Lauri <lauri.kytomaa at aalto.fi>:
> > http://i46.tinypic.com/2cfqivn.png
> >
> > Which value would people use for the lanes=*?

> I think I wouldn't tag any lanes explicitly here. Looks like a
> residential road. I wouldn't expect many trucks in this zone, but if I
> were to map more detail I'd add a width-tag.

+1
Any 'default' assumption of any user of the data would give a value between
1 and 2 anyway.
As you can see, an assumption of 2 may be the better one here - if you take
passenger cars into account.
As you can see, an assumption of 1 would be the better one here - if you
take lorries into account.

Independently of 1, 1.5 or 2 any router would consider this road with
nearly the same value for the traffic considerations.
Any renderer has a better info with width.

What info do you think has lanes=1.5 then?
What do you think a user can derive from this info?

Looks as if 2 cars can pass each other without big problems.

+1
At least no problems regarding traffic time or the mere usage to reach the
point you want.

But look at the pole right behind - I think they won't try to pass
everywhere without advanced caution.

Georg