[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:53:42 BST 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> Right now, we already have to distinguish three types of tags:
> * always area
> * always way
> * way unless area=yes is present.
>
> I simply do not think that the possibility to decrease of the number of
> tags is worth introducing "area unless area=no is present" in addition
> to these. Particularly because whether area or way is the default would
> depend on what is assumed to be more likely in reality. And people might
> easily have different assumptions here, making that kind of default
> non-obvious.

I'm always standing in the contributor point of view. It is not the
wiki (or better said "our recommendations") to follow the osm2pqsql
style file but the opposite. I was asking myself why I accept so
easily a 2nd tag for the highway closed loop and not for the railway
platform. And this is because my assumption is coming form my own
experience like all other mappers. Adding a 2nd tag is acceptable if
we all meet at least some substantial examples IRL. Adding a 2nd tag
just to fix a theoritical issue is much less acceptable, especially
when the main reaction is to say that mapnik/osm2pgsql will fail
because the assumption is done on a key, not a key/value pair.
Here we speak about a non-obvious assumption for the 0.0000000000001% cases ...

Pieren