[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

LM_1 flukas.robot+osm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:19:11 BST 2012

Nobody suggests that all information is immediately transferred to
relations.But in this particular case where one real-world linear
objects is represented by many OSM primitives (better yet if these
primitives are common for more objects), relations seem to be the
clearly right way to go.

2012/7/31 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM, LM_1 <flukas.robot+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually almost any proposal containing relations is criticised from
>> this perspective (relations being too complex/complicated for
>> mappers).
>
> If you explain OSM to an average newcomer, not a geek or a s/w dev:
> - yes, concept of relation is complicated (I'm even not talking about
> super-relations)
I am not denying that relations are more abstract and complicated than
"draw a line - that is a street". Expressing complicated reality
without head explosions requires a lot of abstraction, relations would
be the minimum. When choosing between the possibility to map complex
reality accurately and the extra mappers who are not willing/able to
understand the concept of relations, the former always wins.

> - yes, it is not easy to edit (e.g. hte JOSM relation editor is fine,
> but hey, you need a special editor dialog with special features just
> for relations...)
And I need one for layers, one for selection, one for tags... The
number of features specifically for nodes and ways is still
significantly higher.
And for the ease of editing I strongly prefer one way being member of
multiple relations compared to multiple ways connecting the same nodes
- being identical.
Try opening Potlatch, draw a square, Draw other areas around to get
something like http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3307/potg.png
Try selecting the first square.

> - yes, big relations are a problem for the API¨
I have to admit that I know very little about such problems

> - yes, relations are difficult to maintain in long term because it's
> often broken...  by newcomers.
Are they really broken by newcomers or by the editors? It is quite
difficult not to break something if you are not aware of its
existence.