[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

MilošKomarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:42:29 BST 2012

Tobias Knerr <osm at ...> writes:
> On 02.08.2012 12:56, MilošKomarčević wrote:
> > name=* without any context of what language is recorded in it is one of the
> > biggest fallacies of OSM i18n and needs to be addressed.
>
> You need to realize, though, that mappers in areas where only one
> language is commonly used will not want to put more effort into mapping
> names than they do today. And rightly so, imo - from their perspective,
> it's just more work for little or no gain.

Sure. Was just stating the root of the problem, probably brought on by
architects with little i18n experience who probably assumed only one
language/script is used in an area (or what they though of as most areas). It
might have made sense 'from their perspective', but they created a bit of mess
for a lot of upcoming and very large and populous multicultural areas (take
India for example), not to mention smaller ones all over the world. Saying it
was for no gain is a bit short-sighted and selfish, no?

> Thus, there is a fundamental requirement for any future tagging scheme
> for names: In areas with a single main language, _one_ tag needs to be
> enough for a name in that language.

Agreed.

> Preferably, the key for this case should remain "name".

I don't see a problem of mandating name:xx even when only one language is used
for added clarity, and have a bot fix up existing ones. Does break backwards
compatibility though, so too late to fix at this point.

> Setting some additional tags at the boundary of that area for clarity
> what "name" means there is fine, but there must not be any additional
> effort for setting names on the individual objects.

Totally agree, and is probably the best way that gives us both the fix of the
problem and keeps backward compatibility and least impact to mappers.