[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 13:53:51 BST 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> In Wales, some roads are named in Welsh, some English. I see no problem
> in that, if there is one name then that should remain the name. A bot
> really can't be applied here, it first of all has to decide which
> language a name is in, and then get the tag right. how would it deal
> with mixed names? Such as Llangollen Road.

Perfectly illustrates the false assumption name=* was conceived on.

Now there's no way to know which is which and how to clean up and
separate the data. Not saying you need to in this case, but someone
might want to in the future, or in a different area where e.g. the two
languages in question are written in different scripts for example.