[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:25:14 BST 2012

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 19:35:31 MilošKomarčević wrote:
> Johan Jönsson <johan.j at ...> writes:
> > *It could also be meant to explain something that might not exist on
> > wikipedia, in what languages and scripts the road signs usually are on
> > the place. In the greece capital Athens there are usually the name in
> > greek letters first and then in roman letters (gr and gr_rom maybe).
>
> I would really like the OSM to stop the practice of inventing arbitrary
> language tags like this and previous ones (ko_ro - Korean as spoken in
> Romania, really?).
>
> Let's please start improving the OSM i18n situation by at least following
> BCP 47:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag

In Korea we use ko_rm (not ko_ro), which is intended to mean Romanised Korean,
i.e. Korean spelled phonetically using Roman characters.

If there is an ISO (or similar) code for this, what is it?

Also, what is the code for Hanja, which is essentially Chinese characters used
in Korea?  I couldn't find one, so I used zh (which is *actual* Chinese,
which might be subtly different).

Best wishes,

Andrew