[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:39:10 BST 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 19:35:31 MilošKomarčević wrote:
>> Johan Jönsson <johan.j at ...> writes:
>> > *It could also be meant to explain something that might not exist on
>> > wikipedia, in what languages and scripts the road signs usually are on
>> > the place. In the greece capital Athens there are usually the name in
>> > greek letters first and then in roman letters (gr and gr_rom maybe).
>>
>> I would really like the OSM to stop the practice of inventing arbitrary
>> language tags like this and previous ones (ko_ro - Korean as spoken in
>> Romania, really?).
>>
>> Let's please start improving the OSM i18n situation by at least following
>> BCP 47:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag
>
> In Korea we use ko_rm (not ko_ro), which is intended to mean Romanised Korean,
> i.e. Korean spelled phonetically using Roman characters.

Sorry, for some reason thought I came across ko_ro somewhere...

> If there is an ISO (or similar) code for this, what is it?

Anyhow, according to BCP 47, this should be 'ko-Latn' (Korean language
written in Latin script).

> Also, what is the code for Hanja, which is essentially Chinese characters used
> in Korea?  I couldn't find one, so I used zh (which is *actual* Chinese,
> which might be subtly different).

This would be 'ko-Hani' (ISO 15 code for Hanja).

BCP 47 is pretty self-explanatory and all subtags are given in the
links on the wikipedia page.

HTH,