[Tagging] on the name of a tag for landcover

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 3 13:42:40 BST 2012

On 03/08/2012 13:36, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> To cut a long story short: landcover=herbs would also be fine, IF we
> would expect that those tag will be often used and the difference to
> landcover=grass is substantial enough. As I doubt that I would
> recommend landcover=grass and grass=herbs.

Grass is an example of a herbaceous plant, and we tag from generic
towards specific, so it should really be landcover=herbaceous and
herbaceous=grass. I would advise against using "herbs" in this context.
Although it may be technically not incorrect amongst biologists, in
common English usage it refers to plants used for flavourings etc. like
Thyme, Rosemary, and Oregano.  Joe Mapper is never going to forget that,
although Jean-Luc Cartographe might be excused for confusing grass and
herbs (herbe is French for grass, as well as the culinary plants)

Colin