[Tagging] Tagging amenity=waste_basket

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Sat Aug 4 18:36:47 BST 2012

Werner Poppele <poppele at ...> writes:

> According to the Wiki-page, the tag amenity=waste_basket should be put
> to a node. I found ways tagged with this tag [1] in Bakersfield,
> California. Is that wrong ?
>
> I think yes, because a waste basket is normally a small amenity.
> Therefore a node is sufficient. If it is bigger, than it should be
> tagged as amenity=recycling. Any comments ?
>
> I would replace them by a single node and add the tags of the way to it.
>
> WernerP
>
> PS: Same with amenity=bench [2]
>
> [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.322431&lon=-119.105307&zoom=20
> [2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.30326&lon=-119.080687&zoom=20

That area is extremly thoroughly micromapped and things normally a node could
be represented by an area.

There could be large container-like waste disposal structures, with only small
holes to throw things, they are so big to manage the great amounts of waste
produced at a park on a picnic-day.
If they have the possibility to through different materials in different
holes, it could be a "recycling".
If htey are large open containers where one can dump entire sacks of waste,
they could eb "waste_disposal".

Long park-benches have I myself tagged with a way, seems appropriate.