[Tagging] Tagging amenity=waste_basket

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Aug 4 20:47:05 BST 2012

Hi,

On 04.08.2012 18:10, Werner Poppele wrote:
> According to the Wiki-page, the tag amenity=waste_basket should be put
> to a node. I found ways tagged with this tag [1] in Bakersfield,
> California. Is that wrong ?

Some things are clearly wrong; some things are clearly correct. Between
them there streches the vast expanse called the mapper's discretion.

If mappers have different opinions, then I tend to side with whoever is
local. So if you pass that waste basket on your way to work every day
and you think it should really be a node only, or it should really be a
recycling bin, or whatever, then change it.

If, on the other hand, you're looking at this from the other side of the
country or even the other side of the planet, then it is ok to ask the
locals what they've been up to (possibly explaining why you think the
object should be tagged differently) but you shouldn't be changing anything.

If there are people who think that mapping waste baskets as ways is a
good idea then why not amend the Wiki page which, as you say, currently
lists that tag for nodes only.

Bye
Frederik