[Tagging] Advice & clarification of the railway tracks=* tag required.

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Aug 7 22:56:10 BST 2012

Hi

A user in GB has been editing railway lines by adding tracks=4 even
though each individual track has been mapped:

www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/174899570

 From the railway page of the wiki:

"When modeling multi-track parallel railway lines in close proximity
they can either be modeled as a single way with tracks=*, or as a number
of parallel ways."
"The tracks=* tag should be used to record the number of tracks with a
default value of 1 being assumed where this is not supplied. "

In the example he's tagged each way with tracks=4. Going on what the
wiki says this implies there are a total of 16 tracks on the ground.
This seems incorrect tagging to me.

I've contacted him directly & received a reply but he appears to think
his way is correct & the wiki wrong, so I'm posting here for advice &
clarification.

Cheers
Dave F.