[Tagging] Advice & clarification of the railway tracks=* tag required.

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Aug 7 23:43:31 BST 2012

On 07/08/2012 23:18, Richard Mann wrote:
> I guess that'll be me.
> The total number of tracks is a useful piece of data,

In most of your edits you have the total number of tracks as they're
individually mapped.

> whereas tracks=1 on the four individual tracks is useless.

No, because as Alan & the wiki says, as multiple railways tracks are
still being mapped with a single way it's used to clarify exactly how
many tracks it represents. (1x4 = 4 tracks= correct; 4x4=16 tracks =
incorrect)

> I don't really mind where the information is stored; the tracks tag
> looked like a sensible place to me (and indeed was already being used
> in this way in some places).

You've appear to have grabbed the wrong end of the stick over this. If a
way that represents one track has a tracks=4 tag then that is incorrect.

DaveF.