[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 35, Issue 23

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Aug 10 14:53:53 BST 2012

Am 10.08.2012 14:54, schrieb Eckhart Wörner:
> Hi Frederik,
>
> Am Freitag, 10. August 2012, 14:46:11 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
>> Many suggestions in this thread have been made from a programmer
>> viewpoint. From a programmer viewpoint, in a perfect world where every
>> software correctly parses these tags, I could take every
>>
>> maxspeed=60
>>
>> and change it to
>>
>> maxspeed:(0h-24h):(weight<100000tons)=60
>>
>> and it would not make a difference, right? But in practice, this would
>> likely make the maxspeed information unavailable to the majority of
>> users who are stuck with clients not having a perfect restriction parser
>> (and even those that have would probably irritate the user with some
>> kind of asterisk that says "addidional restrictions apply click here for
>> details" or so).
>>
>> Yes, this is a hypothetical example but I hope it drives home the point
>> that for the overwhelming number of users, a complex grammar for a
>> restriction tag is likely *less* useful than "note: lower speed limit at
>> night" or so - even if the programmer wets his pants about the sheer
>> beauty and flexibility of the tag he has just defined.
> Maybe you should just refrain from participating in the discussion if you have nothing useful to add?
So suggestions about mappers behaviour isn't useful?
Sorry, but then you build a system with useful, but nearly no, data.

Somebody said, he/she/it talked to others who acknowledged that that
proposal (not sure, which exactly) would be intuitive to use for them; but
1) it's unknown if these people were common mappers, or more coders - I
think there are many more mappers without a programming logic background
than those with, and I fear, the relations on the usual contacting lists
(chat, im, mailing lists, forum) is different from the reality in osm.
2) intuitive to understand is different from intuitive to do initially.

regards
Peter